Tortoreto

Visit Tortoreto

The sea promenade of Tortoreto Lido

Tortoreto Lido is a town in the northern part of Abruzzo, immersed in the green of the pine forests and palm trees. Lying on the hill is the historical part of Tortoreto Alto, a picturesque medieval village where it is held every year of festivals and events known at a national level.

Its origins date back to the roman period, when its name was “Castrum Salini”; then in the middle ages it was known as “Turturitus” from which it derives its name modern and current “Turturetum“, which means “place with many doves”, which here are found very numerous.

In Tortoreto you can enjoy the early morning lights of an “therapeutic” atmosphere, for body and mind. Twittering of the most varied tones, the fragrance of typical Mediterranean plants as the sweet smell of the oleander and lime trees, pine trees and many other scented plants. A nature admirably preserved for those who search for prosperity in uncontaminated places.

The today sea tourism was also a historical resource, thanks to the prolific fishing grounds in the Adriatic Sea. The ancient “lancette” (fisher boats) of the early 1900s have left the place, in the aftermath of the second world war, to the “lampare” boats. The link with the fishing has always been alive in the inhabitants, so much so that, every morning you may meet on the beach local fishermen returning with their small boats, or observe the work of the “Vongolare”, typical boats for fishing for clams (which is also dedicated a renowned festival).

Defined as “aristocratic and elegant” for the sobriety of urban décor, for the elegance of numerous art nouveau villas that arise on the seafront, for the richness and variety of the green, Tortoreto boasts three kilometers of sandy beach, wide and well kept, flanked by a tree-lined promenade with around 3,000 plants and palm trees and pine trees, manicured gardens and cycle paths along the entire coast connecting to nearby centres. The richness and variety of cultural and sporting events at the highest level, as well as the numerous local markets and liven up the summer evenings.

These are the pieces of the mosaic of Tortoreto, ancient and refined as the walls of the historic centre, evocative and brilliant as summer evenings with the full moon glowing in the sky.

Historical centre of Tortoreto

Ascending from the Lido through a stain formed by olive groves and vineyards and after glimpsed the remains of a villa of the II century. A. C., you reach Tortoreto Alta, a medieval village placed at 227 meters above sea level. The position “in the air” due to natural balconies suspended in a vacuum, it is possible to enjoy a unique vision of the coast, the valleys of the Salinello and Vibrata and the Gran Sasso Mountain. The Historic Center of Tortoreto is a system of small squares and narrow streets, arches and towers characterized by warm shades of brick, that still preserves the structure of a fortified village, which once housed in the highest part of the town the local nobility, while today it is the seat of the Town Hall and some important cultural events.

After the Middle Ages, the population reverses the flow of immigrants because of the need to grow strong. It is beginning to build in an area of flat coast, around 1800, there arose the first inhabited nucleus of Tortoreto Lido along the present via Carducci, that from Tortoreto Alta leads to the sea. Ascending from the Lido toward Tortoreto Alta, at the foot of the hill, along the provincial road, in the area known as “muracche”, came to light ruins of a villa which is certainly not the only one in the hilly regions. At the time the sea came to lick the hill and therefore it was a real villa with a view of the sea with its mosaic floor and a rear part reserved for agricultural activities. Other testimonies of the Roman era were identified in the municipal territory, precisely in the contrada Terrabianca and Badette: tanks for collecting rainwater and a necropolis.

 

The origins of Tortoreto date back to the Roman empire (although the first human settlements date back to the prehistoric period), for a phenomenon of migration of the inhabitants of the coast toward the hill to take refuge from the dangers of aggressions. The nucleus of the historical centre of Tortoreto Alta, as it appears to today visitors, there arose, instead, in the period pre-medieval. The place, says Pope Gregory, in a letter of 602, was “rich in woods and suitable for the nesting of doves”. From here the name Turturitus (pigeons in latin). The village still preserves its medieval town: a central fortress surrounded by high walls on which rises a magnificent tower.

The “Torrione”, access door, the narrow streets, the bridge with the characteristics of the times, testify to existence of the castle of Tortoreto. The historic centre of Tortoreto that it rises 227 meters above sea level is divided into three parts: “Terravecchia” (old land) represents the oldest nucleus of Tortoreto reconstructed, in all probability, on the ruins of “Castrum Salini”. It became a fortified castle with drawbridge, which remain the slits in the front of the Tower of the Clock, the walls, the towers, the underground tunnels and the palaces of the feudal lord, the churches and the homes of the nobles. “Terranuova” (new land) was the new castle with few access doors and the towers at the corners of the city for the defence. “Il Borgo” (the village) developed outside the walls of the castle around 1400 on a ridge, in the broadest sense being perpendicular to the coast and ends with a natural terrace overlooking the sea. From the end of 1300, Tortoreto binds its history to that of the Dukes Acquaviva of Atri, who ruled until the middle of 1700, years in which the territory passed to the Kingdom of Naples.

Some advice on monuments to see!

CHURCH OF SAN NICOLA DI BARI

It is the current parish Church of Tortoreto Alta. Founded before 1000 and rebuilt in 1534 by the architect Piermarini of Bergamo. At the beginning of the 19th century the Church has been renovated and embellished, while the body is in 1842 for work of Paci (restored in 1994). In the chapel to the left, built in 1873, a statue of fine workmanship of the “Madonna della Neve”, in silver.

TORRE DELL’OROLOGIO

Looking carefully at the Tower there are three distinct historical eras: the base in stones and bricks dating back to the foundation of Tortoreto ( 600); the central part of medieval times and are evident the slots for the tie of the drawbridge, the highest part of the Tower was built in 1881. Under the Tower note the bridge with the features 16th century arches.

VILLA OF THE ROMAN PERIOD

At the beginning of the provincial road that from Tortoreto Lido goes up to the historical centre, came to light the ruins of a roman villa with its mosaic floor and tanks for the storage of oil to witness that the villa, as well as residence of a Roman lord, was also intended to agricultural production. This and other villas present along the hillside area were protected by a wall, “Muracche”, which gives the name to the area.

PALAZZO COMUNALE

Of the eighteenth century, to the property De Fabritiis, and the current municipal seat of Tortoreto Alta. In 1940 it became a concentration camp for Jews who were interned and the palace nor hosted 25. After the second world war it became the seat of the local Police Station and since 1979 the seat of the Town Hall of Tortoreto.

THE FORTELLEZZA AND THE BELVEDERE

Left the village heading eastwards, you will come to a natural terrace, a military outpost, which overlooks the Adriatic coast and from which it takes an exciting vision.
It seems almost to be able to embrace the whole stretch of coast from the rivers Tronto to Tordino. For the many archaeological discoveries archaeologists, the “fortellezza” has been inhabited for thousands of years.

Gallery

Gallery Residence Il Borgo

For any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact CLICK HERE
click here